Definition of separate
What is the definition of "separate"?
1. To set or keep apart; disunite.
2. To space apart; scatter: small farms that were separated one from another by miles of open land.
3. To sort: separate mail by postal zones.
4. To differentiate or discriminate between; distinguish: a researcher who separated the various ethnic components of the population sample.
5. To remove from a mixture or combination; isolate.
Use "separate" in a sentence
"In connection with this fracture, reference must be made to a condition frequently met with, in which the epiphysial portion of the acromion is found to be separate from the body of the process -- _separate acromion_."
""He was holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners:" not _separate_ in the sense of not eating and drinking with them, of not associating and conversing with them; but separate in the sense that he was not, like them, a transgressor of the law of"
"Purchas having considered some of the ships belonging to _single_ adventurers or subscriptions, which made separate voyages or parts of voyages, as _separate_ adventures."
Words like "separate" (synonyms)
How to Say "separate" in:
- Spanish: separate
- German: separate
- French: separate
- Mandarin: separate
- Japanese: separate
Words Like separate
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES