Definition of run
What is the definition of "run"?
1. To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.
2. To move at a fast gallop. Used of a horse.
3. To retreat rapidly; flee: seized the money and ran.
4. To move without hindrance or restraint: dogs that always ran loose.
5. To go or move about from place to place; roam: I am always running about, looking for my glasses.
Use "run" in a sentence
"Today, rather than run a network of secret torture centers as the Soviets 'proxy Mohammad Najibullah did, President Hamid Karzai has set himself up as a defender of the rights of Afghans detained in U. S.-run prisons, something that plays well with the population."
"Amber stands poised, as if ready to run -- _run away from me?"
"But can the fact of his uncles and aunts running less well than his fathers and mothers be a means of his fathers and mothers coming to run _better than they used to run_?"
Words like "run" (synonyms)
How to Say "run" in:
- Spanish: run
- German: run
- French: run
- Mandarin: run
- Japanese: run
Words Like run
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- to run into
- to run one's chances
- in the long run
- indefinite quantity