Definition of letter
What is the definition of "letter"?
1. A written symbol or character representing a speech sound and being a component of an alphabet.
2. A written symbol or character used in the graphemic representation of a word, such as the h in Thames. See Note at Thames.
3. A written or printed communication directed to a person or organization.
4. A certified document granting rights to its bearer. Often used in the plural.
5. Literal meaning: had to adhere to the letter of the law.
Use "letter" in a sentence
"But in sharply-worded letter written this week, Senate Homeland Security Committee chairs Susan Collins (R-ME) and Joe Lieberman (D-CT) say the letter of assurance did no such thing."
"Cos I got Jillehpie's letter fine and Sophiepie's is lost somewhere. * calls out to letter* meh. * stamps feet* I WANT SOPHS LETTER!!"
"The second letter has a date line, personal signature and initials of dictator and stenographer -- little touches that add to the personality of the letter_"
Words like "letter" (synonyms)
How to Say "letter" in:
- Spanish: letter
- German: letter
- French: letter
- Mandarin: letter
- Japanese: letter
Words Like letter
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- drop letter
- letter of credit
- letters clause
- literal interpretation