Definition of hammer
What is the definition of "hammer"?
1. A hand tool consisting of a handle with a head of metal or other heavy rigid material that is attached at a right angle, used for striking or pounding.
2. A tool or device similar in function or action to this striking tool, as:
3. The part of a gunlock that hits the primer or firing pin or explodes the percussion cap and causes the gun to fire.
4. Music One of the padded wooden pieces of a piano that strikes the strings.
5. A part of an apparatus that strikes a gong or bell, as in a clock.
Use "hammer" in a sentence
"When building a house, a hammer is an important tool."
"Sounds like the hammer is a much better tool than kissing but like Carter and Clinton did."
"Union officials said the Government's defence cuts were to blame for the job losses, which they described as a "hammer blow" to manufacturing, as orders for the Eurofighter Typhoon combat jet slow down."
Words like "hammer" (synonyms)
How to Say "hammer" in:
- Spanish: hammer
- German: hammer
- French: hammer
- Mandarin: hammer
- Japanese: hammer
Words Like hammer
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- face hammer
- auditory ossicle
- sports equipment