Definition of copy
What is the definition of "copy"?
1. An imitation or reproduction of an original; a duplicate: a copy of a painting; made two copies of the letter.
2. One specimen or example of a printed text or picture: an autographed copy of a novel.
3. Material, such as a manuscript, that is to be set in type.
4. The words to be printed or spoken in an advertisement.
5. Suitable source material for journalism: Celebrities make good copy.
Use "copy" in a sentence
"Kipling, just released from his long confinement, like a boy out of school, was the life of the partyand when, one day, he found a woman aboard reading a copy of The Ladies Home Journal his joy knew no bounds; he turned in the most inimitable copy to the Tonic, describing the womans feelings as she read the different departments in the magazine."
"Book-fanciers now and then bid a few shillings, for a copy of the catalogue of his library; and some sly free-thinkers, of modern date, are not backward in shewing a sympathy in their predecessor's fame, by the readiness with which they bid a half-guinea, or more, for a _priced copy_ of it."
"The gofpel of John» of which Kerinthus had given me a copy interpolated by him to a conformity with his notions» and the expofition which» being ignorant myfelf of »ay other copy» I delivered to the brethren % 60 HISTORY OW i brethren in their aflfemblies, on the mjrf - teries contained therein, had an extra - ordinary efFedt; my authority and influ«"
Words like "copy" (synonyms)
How to Say "copy" in:
- Spanish: copy
- German: copy
- French: copy
- Mandarin: copy
- Japanese: copy
Words Like copy
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- office copies
- written account
- written record