Definition of race
What is the definition of "race"?
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.
5. Biology An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
Use "race" in a sentence
"Howe took a narrow two point USA Crits lead with 20 laps to go in the race, and he held onto the orange and white jersey come the end of the race."
"Aryan race to leave behind literary relics of their existence on earth, then I say the Vedic poets are primitive; the Vedic language is primitive; the Vedic religion is primitive, and, taken as a whole, _more primitive than anything else that we are ever likely to recover in the whole history of our race_ ...."
"It appears that the red race here, the _race capresse_, is particularly liable to the disease."
Words like "race" (synonyms)
How to Say "race" in:
- Spanish: race
- German: race
- French: race
- Mandarin: race
- Japanese: race
Words Like race
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- taxonomic category
- taxonomic group