Definition of amateur
What is the definition of "amateur"?
1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
2. Sports An athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a competition.
3. One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.
1. Of or performed by an amateur.
2. Made up of amateurs: an amateur cast.
Use "amateur" in a sentence
"Then it dawned on me that the word "amateur" comes from the French word meaning "to love.""
"I totally agree with your etymological assessment of the term amateur, I will always be an amateur, never a professional. lichanos"
"But I don't think the term amateur is being used that way here."
Words like "amateur" (synonyms)
How to Say "amateur" in:
- Spanish: amateur
- German: amateur
- French: amateur
- Mandarin: amateur
- Japanese: amateur
Words Like amateur
NEARBY & RELATED ENTRIES
- amateur night
- amateur hour